Elder Care in Indian Trail NC
Scent is an extremely important sense and can be a valuable tool within your elder care journey with you aging loved ones. Using scent throughout their home is a wonderful way to create a comforting and welcoming atmosphere while also speaking to their emotions and creating feelings that you desire for your loved ones. For many seniors, however, some ways to add scent to the home, such as candles and gel potpourri, are not appropriate and could even be dangerous. Using homemade linen spray is a fantastic way to bring scent to the different rooms of your loved ones’ home and remove unpleasant odors without the risk that may come from other forms of fragrance. The added benefit of making your own linen sprays is that you can choose whatever fragrances are right for your parents and their home.
Try making this simple homemade linen spray with your aging parents, or encourage them to make it with their elderly health care services provider, and use it to freshen up their furniture, curtains, bedding, carpet, or other soft surfaces throughout the home:
What You’ll Need
- Clean spray bottle with spray pump. For best results, use a dark glass bottle so the light does not damage the oils
- 1 1/2 ounces of rubbing alcohol or vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces of distilled water. It is very important to use distilled water to prevent mildewing
- 30 to 40 drops of essential oils
What to Do
- Put the essential oils into the bottle
- Add the rubbing alcohol or vodka
- Mix the two ingredients together. Be sure to do this step first because the oils will not mix into the water if they are added to the water first
- Once the essential oils and alcohol are mixed, add in the distilled water and mix
When you are ready to use your linen spray, shake it thoroughly and then spray the soft surface lightly until you reach desired scent intensity.
The huge variety of essential oils available allows you to create whatever types of combinations you like. Experiment with your parents to find the combinations that smell the best to them and that create the feelings that you want.
Let these ideas for scents inspire you to create your own linen sprays for your parents’ home:
- 10 drops each eucalyptus, peppermint, and lemon to open the sinuses and make breathing easier
- 15 drops each lavender and chamomile for a soothing, calming combination
- 15 drops each eucalyptus and spearmint for a relaxing, tension-fighting blend
- 15 drops orange and 15 drops lemon to boost energy
- 15 drops sandalwood, 15 drops bergamot, and 2 drops rose for a lush, comforting scent
- 30 drops tea tree for a bold, clean scent with antibacterial properties
- 10 drops clove, 10 drops nutmeg, and 10 drops cinnamon for a warm, comforting scent
- 10 drops oakmoss, 10 drops cedar, and 10 drops rosemary for an earthy, grounding scent
Extra tip: While essential oils are natural and offer potential benefits, you can also use skin safe fragrance oils to make up your own fragrance combinations with a wide variety of options.
If you or an aging loved one are considering elder care in Indian Trail, NC, contact Caring at Heart today. Our staff will answer all of your questions about caring for an aging adult. Serving Charlotte, Statesville, Ballantyne, Mooresville, Huntersville, Matthews, Concord, Gastonia, Pineville and Indian Trail. CALL TODAY (704) 837-4564.