Senior Care in Indian Trail NC
“Laughter is the best medicine” is more than just a cliché. Laughing triggers the release of endorphins, which make people feel better all over, naturally. It can also have an anesthetic-like effect on the body, suppressing physical pain and discomfort for up to two hours following a very robust belly-laugh.
A study by Northwestern University in Chicago revealed that laughing promotes emotional well-being, helping people maintain a positive outlook and stable mood throughout the day. That kind of optimism has been linked to a person having improved resiliency against things that can often come up with age, such as financial stress, disease, or the loss of a loved one or close friend.
Humor is also emerging through many studies to be one of the most powerful medicines for chronic and degenerative conditions such as cancer, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
If you are providing care for a senior in your life—whether parent, or aunt, or uncle—help them laugh as often as possible. Watch funny shows on TV or the Internet. There are many channels or networks out there which feature more classic TV shows which are often very funny.
You could also take your loved one to a comedy club, but you may want to make sure of the act playing before going. Some performers put on crude shows and you wouldn’t want to expose your loved one to something they found distasteful or offensive.
There are also oodles of web sites on the Internet that you and your loved one can share, that feature jokes and funny stories. Here are just a few:
- Laughter Wellness – Website that offers an interactive body mind practice that allows you to laugh, regardless of how you are feeling. It focuses on developing a positive attitude and improving physical, mental, emotional and especially social well-being and integration.
- A Joke a Day – This site features new, clean jokes daily. Users can sign up to have a free joke sent to their email daily.
- Pruneville.com – This website featuring pages with both “clean” and “not-so-clean” jokes targeted towards 50+
readers; content updated weekly.
- Everyday Wisdom – This is an online collection of clean jokes and humorous short stories.
- Everything Zoomer – Features a daily joke/humorous short story aimed at readers aged 50 and better.
In addition, there are such things as Laughter Clubs catching on across the country and around the world. According to laughteronlineuniversity.com community laughter clubs are “loosely defined as fully independent and self-managed local gatherings of people who just want to laugh as a form of exercise, and choose to feel good about themselves and the world they live in with other like-minded individuals.”
While there is not a single, central database that houses all the community laughter clubs throughout the world, one good place to start is at Laughter Yoga America. It has a fairly current listing of clubs in the U.S.
So go ahead: Share a joke or funny story, and get laughing.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Indian Trail, NC contact Caring at Heart today. Our staff will answer all of your questions about caring for an aging adult. Serving Charlotte, Statesville, Ballantyne, Mooresville, Huntersville, Matthews, Concord, Gastonia, Pineville and Indian Trail. CALL TODAY (704) 837-4564.